I have been teaching Power yoga now since 2015 and I have to admit I am so glad I took the exam. I already liked yoga but wanted to teach for myself.
Yoga has so many benefits for the mind and body and is a great low impact work. My class in particular is for all levels of fitness/flexibility, as there are always options to suit.
- Yoga is a safe and effective way to increase your physical activity, strength, flexibility and balance. Also there is some evidence that regular yoga practice is beneficial for people with high blood pressure, heart disease, depression and stress.
- Yoga is popular with people with arthritis, for its gentle way if promoting flexibility and strength. It can also help to reduce the pain and increase mobility. However not all yoga postures are suitable for this condition, so if you are concerned please do come and speak to me
- Age is nothing but a number, and this certainly is the case in my class. My yoga class has a lower age limit of 16 and no upper limit. One of the nicest things about this class is the varied ages and friendly faces. Everyone gets along with each other.
- Ladies often say to me ‘ I am not flexible enough for yoga’. This is not an issue, yoga can improve your flexibility and over time you will see improvement. There are so many different abilities in my class, but you are encouraged to listen to your body and improve gradually, and not worry about what the person is doing next to you.
- My class is as much about the mind as it is the body, so i plan the class in such a way that you leave the room feeling very relaxed and chilled. This is includes a 10 minute visualization/meditation section at the end of class, in a darkened room with fairy lights on. I also put an oil diffuser on using a mixture of scents, that have proven to be very popular with my ladies. Yoga is great for relieving stress and anxiety and ideal for improving your sleep.
- To come to the class just wear some comfortable work out clothing that allows you to move freely. Yoga is best done in bare feet, however if you prefer you can leave your socks on or use yoga socks. Ideally you should use a yoga or pilates mat and this allows free movement without slipping, but if you do not have one for the first class you could try using a thick towel, although this is not ideal.
My class is on every Wednesday 7pm in the dance studio at Faifax School. This is to the left of the main car park. Please do feel free to come and join us